Saturday, August 25, 2012

Busy Day...Kuiper's Farm and Grandma's House

 This morning I woke to smells...the smell of roasted garlic, the smell of chopped onion, the smell of roasted peppers, Terry was making salsa. Caleb saw that and immediately heated himself up an enchilada for breakfast. What a strange choice. He also was savoring cilantro. It was an interesting breakfast choice.
 Kendall, chose a better breakfast, in my opinion, a bagel with cream cheese. I chose to join Kendall for breakfast. She was in a pretty silly mood.
At about 9:00 a.m. my mom called wondering where we were. Today was the big fantasy football draft, that my brother-in-law Mike puts on. Terry of course, headed over there as the sun began to shine, and Rachel and her girls were kicked out of the house. So, I put the bikes in the car and we headed over to my mom's house to spend a day with family. Kendall decided to try out her new bike. She rode at a very slow pace...Tessa (now 10 months old) can crawl faster than Kendall chose to ride her bike. It was pretty hilarious!
 

 Next, we decided to head out to Kuiper's Family Farm. I received an e-mail last night that announced the farm was open for apple picking a week early. Last year, we waited and ended up picking apples on a horribly cold day, so I decided that a hot day might be better.
 My mom decided to accompany Rachel and I, and squeezed into Rachel's minivan right in between Tessa's and Caroline's car seats. The adventure began with a bumpy wagon ride out to the orchard. The orchard was empty, in fact, we were the only people on the wagon.
 Clifford also came to the orchard with us. Kendall is the star of the week, this week in kindergarten and she had the privilege of taking Clifford home with her this weekend. I am very thankful we are first, because of course Clifford slept in Kendall's bed, and has been everywhere with us, and I can't imagine how scummy Clifford will become in the months to come.
 Apple picking was a huge success. Caleb loved trying the Gala apples that were in bins. Apparently, they needed to be picked earlier in the week. They were delicious. We were able to pick Cortland and Jonathan apples from the trees.
 Overall, the apple crop is not what it normally is. The apples are pretty small this year due to the draught, and the orchard lost 40% of their normal crop because of a freeze that we had this spring.
This problem didn't deter my kids, but will cause the apple picking to be totally finished by the end of September.
 We ended the evening having delicious Chinese food at my mom's house. The kids had a great time together! It was a fun day.
 

 

 

No comments: