Monday, June 20, 2011

Story Time

We had another great summer day. It was storming outside this morning, so I figured it would be a good day to get some errands done. Our first stop was Petsmart. Our dog Flash needed some more flea/tick medicine and I wanted to pick up some specialty shampoo because she has been itching herself lately. My kids LOVE to go to the pet store! Who needs a zoo when you have a pet store near you? Okay, maybe it is not quite that exciting, but for them it is a close second. The kids really liked the parakeets this trip. They also had fun watching the fish being fed.
After the pet store we ran to story hour at Barnes and Noble. I love that our local store has a weekly story time. We don't often get to attend because of my work schedule, so it had been a long time. Miss Debbie read 4 stories to the group of kids. I loved how she integrated technology by using the Nook during the first read aloud. I thought that it was very engaging for the kids and a clever way to promote their reader.
After the stories were read the kids were given paper and crayons to draw pictures of what they learned. Caleb drew a picture of a rabbit from one of the books. I always love to see authentic writing opportunities during activities such as this.

After nap time it had stopped raining so we headed to the pool. The sun came out and was shining. We had a wonderful time! I think the earlier storms caused people to find other activities. There were only 10 people in the small pool while we were there. It was great for the kids. They became very brave and were going under water, as well as jumping off of the side. Kendall even went into water that went up to her shoulders. I was very proud of her!

No comments: