Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Kerplink, Kerplank, Kerplunk

Today we went blueberry picking. I heard about Tammen's Berry Farm through our park district. It was a little over an hour away, but the thought of reliving Blueberries For Sal was irresistible. So, I got my mom, and off we went! I probably should add that it was about 96 degrees out with very high humidity. When we got there, we got our pails, and headed for a very bumpy tractor ride.
Then the picking began. I was surprised that the bushes were so tall. I was expecting them lower to the ground because of the book. I was wrong! Some were so high I couldn't reach them.
At first, the kids had a great time. We picked and picked for about 15 minutes. Then they melted, as did my mom. We went to the water cooler. The kids drank and drank as we waited for the ride back to the car.
Here they are on the ride back. I made the HUGE mistake of allowing them to sit in the front row. The tractor wheels kicked up a ton of dirt. We were filthy by the time we arrived back. We ended up picking about 3 pounds of blueberries. Supposedly, these can be frozen. I certainly hope so! We will be eating the yummy berries for awhile! Yum!

When we got back to town, the kids happily went swimming and had their swim lessons. Terry surprised us by cooking chicken satay. YUMMY! Another fun, hot summer day.

No comments: